Friday, 6 March 2009

Thanks for inviting me

First of all, I'd like to thank Candy for inviting me to be the featured blogger. I feel honoured having only started the blog back in January of this year.

Secondly, I'd like to take this opportunity of thanking Candy for all her hard work in creating the SCBWI Ning site and really giving our group a friendly, community feel.

When I first started this blog I knew I didn't want to focus on my struggles as an aspiring writer. That's not to say I haven't been lucky on my journey, I may be unpublished but I have had lots of positive feedback for my first attempt at writing a children's novel. All these things have helped encourage me in my pursuit of one day being published..
I was longlisted in the Cornerstones Wowfactor competition and received some great feedback from Helen Corner.
I received an Honorary mention in the SCBWI Undiscovered Voices competition.
I have had some amazing editorial feedback from Sarah Davies of The Greenhouse - a subject I will be blogging about at a later date. (Sarah has asked me to remind any British author submitting to The Greenhouse to please address their submissions to Julia Churchill)

I think one of the hardest things for any aspiring writer is to maintain the momentum, keep on pursuing our dreams, to believe in ourselves and not fall foul of the crippling demon of self-doubt. That good old -Why am I bothering? - feeling. I struggle with it regularly and, so it seems, do published authors. Such is the curse of sitting alone in our garrets/sheds/spare rooms, tapping frantically on keyboards without a guiding hand to reassure us that it is worth it, our writing is good, publishable, that someone will want to read our story. That we are not wasting our time.

This is why I wanted to create a blog where we aspiring writers can read success stories about normal, everyday writers like us. Someone who aspired to be published and achieved their dream. On many a messageboard, I've read the ranting and raving of frustrated aspiring authors, who say it's all a conspiracy that publishers and agents don't want to find new talent, that it's impossible to get published. I'm not denying it isn't hard, (perhaps even more so in the current economic climate) but for each debut author I've interviewed they have given me hope and in return I'd like to think that reading the interviews gives other writers hope too.

On that note, here's a couple of things to, hopefully, look forward to.
A sneaky peek at the debut book cover of one the SCBWI Undiscovered authors. Very good it is too.
An interview with another debut author who was shortlisted in the recent Waterstone’s Children’s Book Prize 2009.
An interview with a debut American author.

Say after me - 'It's not rejection. We just haven't been accepted yet.'

2 comments:

Sandra Patterson said...

Congrats on being a featured blogger, Tracy. It's no more than you deserve.

Tracy said...

Thank you, Sandra. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts

The Bookseller

Loading...