Monday, 4 May 2009

Bits and Pieces and In-between

It's a Bank Holiday in the UK so here is a lazy Bank Holiday post. Things to read and matters to ponder with a generally chilled out vibe.


According to Saturday's Guardian newspaper, Susan Boyle, (yes, she of Britain's Got Talent fame and You Tube 'sensation') has got a literary agent: Mark Lucas, who represents Andy McNab and Kate Mosse.
The paper reports that the auction of Susan's autobiography has reached the £100,000 mark and is likely to keep rising.


Author Ursula K le Guin, was awarded her sixth Nebula award for her YA novel, Powers.











I'm a fan of author Patrick Ness and if you haven't read his first YA novel, The Knife of Never Letting Go - YOU MUST. I've only managed a couple of book recommendations but this is one of them.
There's a great interview with Patrick Ness here.









Ian Jack, former editor of Granta magazine, has a regular column in The Guardian newspaper. In his article 'The age of the gifted amateur has returned' he discusses the changing world of publishing. Depressing reading or a fact of life we must accept and face? You decide.


Teen Titles - a magazine I wasn't aware of until today.
Taken from its website it says - Teen Titles is a full-colour book review magazine packed with reviews and author interviews written by teenagers for teenagers. It aims to promote reading and literacy in a fun way that will appeal to all young people.
It's not cheap to subscribe but for any self-employed writers at least it's tax deductable. Here's a link to its website


When I started this blog back in January of this year, my first debut author interview was with Sarwat Chadda, author of The Devil's Kiss.

Well, this month is UK publication month for The Devil's Kiss, it's out on the 7th May, so do buy it and enjoy. I was lucky enough to read a pre-publication copy and it's a cracking read from a first time author.






Something nice to look at.
Yes, I love Doctor Who.











I came across this great blog Mystery Man on Film. There's a great post and download link to the 125-page transcript of the original 1978 story conference between Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, and Lawrence Kasdan for Raiders of the Lost Ark. Here's a link to the specific post.


Publishers Simon&SchusterUK have a shiny, new children's books website.


Want to know about Great Fiction for Teens and Young Adults? Try this


Want to know what's happening on this blog over the coming weeks. Well, I shall tell you.
More author interviews.
The truth about self-publishing from people who've tried it.
Book trailer favourites.

And while I'm trying to keep my readers happy, I'm editing my YA novel for the SCBWI anthology competition. Wish me luck, I think I will need it. I have a feeling there's going to be lots of fierce competition this year.
I wish all those who are entering, Good Luck and happy writing.





















And here's a photo my brother took while on holiday in Thailand.


That's it for now, folks. Hope you found something interesting to read in this post.
Tracy :)

4 comments:

Michelle Sutton said...

I think there was something to read there...but I forgot everything once I saw the picture of DT ;)

Found the Indiana Jones bit interesting, cheers for that. And good luck with the SCBWI anthology competition.

Tracy said...

Hi Michelle - if I can find an excuse to stick a picture of DT in, I will.

Thanks for the good luck wishes.

Anonymous said...

Tracy, your blog is always interesting. Good luck with the SCBWI comp. If I were a betting man .......

Tracy said...

Thanks Anonymous - glad you enjoy the blog and thanks for the good luck wishes too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts

The Bookseller

Loading...