Monday, 20 December 2010

A lovely Christmas present


It's not often I write about myself because, quite frankly, all my wonderful guest authors, agents and publishers are far more interesting than me but I shall break with tradition and today I'm writing a short blog post about me.  Because I've had some news that has put a smile on my face and has made for a lovely early Christmas present.


This year I decided to enter the Times/Chicken House competition  


I received an email a couple of days ago saying that my novel had caught their eye and that they'd like to publish an extract on the Times website.  Although this doesn't necessarily mean I'll get any further in the competition and, let's face it, I'm up against some fantastic entries, it does mean that my work stood out and for that reason alone I am very happy.  Because if there's one thing I've learned on my writing journey, it's that any praise or encouraging feedback from people who work in the business must be embraced.   The publishing world can be a strange, mysterious and confusing place, full of subjective opinion and rejection without reason.  So when we receive words of praise; a few scribbled words on the standard rejection letter, an agent requesting the full even if ultimately it is rejected, a shortlisting in a competition, anything that helps spur us on in our quest to be published, we should take heart and draw on these experiences as we pursue that elusive agent and publishing deal.

So no matter what happens next - I'm exceedingly happy to have made it this far...





And I'm also thrilled to say that a fellow British SCBWI member, Melissa Rogerson, has also had an extract of her novel, The Moonlocket, published on the Times website.  She talks about her excitement on hearing the news on her blog lifebeyond




So I wish you all Seasons Greetings and Happy Holidays




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

23 comments:

Rosalind Adam said...

Congratulations. That really is good news and you're so right when you say that it's not only the winner who has something to celebrate. To be noticed is praise indeed and, what's more, a big step towards publication.

Patsy said...

Great news - congratulations!

Keren David said...

That's fantastic - well done!

vh said...

Fantastic News! Well Done.

Tracy said...

Thank you all for your congratulations. Since posting on facebook and on here I have been deeply moved by how supportive and encouraging everyone has been about my news.
Thank you one and all
Tracy :D

MC Rogerson said...

Congrats again and many thanks for including me in your celebrations. I hope you have a wondeful Christmas. Melx

Tracy said...

Congratulations to you too Mel and I hope you have a great Christmas too. x

Sue Hyams said...

Tracy, that's brilliant news! Huge congratulations and fingers crossed for the next step!
x

Miriam Halahmy said...

MAZELTOV!! I am sooo pleased for you.

Melinda Szymanik said...

People take notice of things like this and it'll look great on the CV. Congrats Tracy and Merry Christmas from the hot and wet antipodes!

Melinda

Welshcake said...

It's fantastic Tracy, And a sign of Good Things To Come.

So pleased for you!

Tracy said...

Thanks guys :D

Ellen Renner said...

This is brilliant. Totally chuffed for you (but not surprised!). Enjoy your well deserved success. And thank you for posting this: you're so generous and supportive of everyone else and it's lovely to hear about you as well. xxx

Tracy said...

Thank you Ellen. :) xxx

KMLockwood said...

Fan-dabby-dabby-dozy, Tracy.
I can only hope this is just the beginning of great things for you.

Tracy said...

Thank you, Phillipa :)

Linda said...

Congratulations, Tracy. I'm sure it's the start of great things!

Dave Cousins said...

Great news Tracy. Well done and well deserved. Let's hope this is the start of something. Liked the extract too. Witty and intriguing. I want to know what happens next!

Tracy said...

Thank you Linda and Dave :D

Dave - glad you liked the extract. Would be lovely to get further in the competition, but if not, I am very happy with this fantastic piece of validation for my writing.
:)

Benjamin Scott said...

Well done Tracy. Fingers crossed for an amazing 2011 for you!

Tracy said...

Aw, thanks Ben. For you too! :)

amygreenfield said...

Congratulations! That's exciting news -- and a terrific extract! Fingers crossed for you.

Tracy said...

Thank you Amy - fantastic to know you enjoyed the extract. :D
Happy Holidays!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts

The Bookseller

Loading...