Tuesday, 5 April 2011

Book Review: PARANORMALCY by KIERSTEN WHITE


Evie's always thought of herself as normal. Sure, her best friend is a mermaid, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she's falling for a shapeshifter and she's the only person who can see through paranormal's glamours, but still. Normal.
Only now paranormals are dying and Evie's dreams are filled with haunting voices and mysterious prophecies. She begins to suspect there is a link between her abilities and the sudden rash of deaths, and even worse, that she is at the centre of a dark prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.


Paranormalcy ~ a tall tales & short stories review

I was really surprised by this book purely because I really enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Please don't let the cover mislead you, it's so very wrong for the book and if I saw it on the shelves in a bookstore it's very unlikely I'd pick it up. So big thumbs down for the cover but a big thumbs up for the book. Why? Because it's fun, it's original, and I enjoyed spending time in the main character's company. Evie is a refreshingly funny, down-to-earth, and engaging heroine and, unlike so many of the female leads in similar themed books, she doesn't take herself too seriously and she's far from passive - even if her Taser is pink and covered in rhinestones!

I have to share a quote from the second page because it's brilliant -

'I hate the vamp jobs. They think they're so suave. It's not enough for them to slaughter and eat you like a zombie would. No, they want it to be all sexy, too. And trust me: vampires? Not. Sexy. I mean, sure, their glamours can be pretty hot, but the dry-as-a-bone corpse bodies shimmering underneath? Nothing attractive there.'

(Take that - a certain vampire character who shall remain nameless!)

Kiersten White takes some oft used, stock supernatural characters and offers a refreshingly witty and original spin on the concept. There is, of course, the love interest but I can honestly say this is the first time I've come across a character quite like Lend in a YA novel. (I shall say no more on that score). There are some genuinely quite sad moments woven into the intriguing storyline and combined with the tight writing and witty dialogue and lively characters this is a book that kept me turning the pages.

So, if you like a supernatural adventure with plenty of light and dark, some sexy love interest and a feisty heroine, but that doesn't take itself too seriously, I thoroughly recommend this book.




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts

The Bookseller

Loading...