Monday, 16 May 2011

Dr Who, Branford Boase, Word Clouds and other writerly stuff

The Doctor with Nephew, Uncle and Idris. Photograph: BBC/Adrian Rogers/BBC
I am a huge Doctor Who fan and have been since I was little.  Last Saturday, 16th May, episode 4, The Doctor's Wife, was written by Neil Gaiman and, like many others, I was particularly excited by the prospect of this particular episode.

I won't give away any spoilers but let's just say, I wasn't disappointed - at all.  I thought the idea was inspired, dark and twisted, but also fun and rather moving.

But my reason for mentioning it on my blog is to draw attention to BBC 3's Doctor Who Confidential.  For anyone who hasn't seen it, Neil Gaiman presents most of the episode and he reads scenes from his script.  I would highly-recommend any writer to watch - Here's the link on the BBC iplayer


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Teri Terry recently wrote a post for Notes from the Slushpile about a SCBWI Revision Masterclass held by Sara Grant.

She mentions using Word Cloud as part of your revision process.  Paste in your novel and see what your most used words are.  I know I tend to use the word 'just' - a lot!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Literary Agent, Janet Reid, mentioned this on her blog and I thought it was too wonderful not to share.  If you need to feel motivated and inspired, check this out.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Don't forget that the closing date for the Undiscovered Voices 2012 competition is June 1 2011.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



The 2011 shortlist for the Branford Boase Award has been announced. The Award is given annually to the author of an outstanding debut novel for children.

I'm proud to say three of the shortlisted authors have been featured on my blog!
Congratulations to all the shortlisted authors:


I Am The Blade by J.P. Buxton, edited by Beverley Birch (Hachette)

When I Was Joe by Keren David, edited by Maurice Lyon (Frances Lincoln)

Tall Story by Candy Gourlay, edited by Bella Pearson (David Fickling)

Unhooking The Moon by Gregory Hughes, edited by Roisin Heycock (Quercus)

Out Of Shadows by Jason Wallace, edited by Charlie Sheppard (Andersen Press)

The Crowfield Curse by Pat Walsh, edited by Imogen Copper (Chicken House)


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3 comments:

Kate said...

That was indeed a superb episode of Dr Who! (Huge fan here too). I've not seen the Confidential yet - off to watch it now...

Tracy said...

A fellow Who fan -Hurrah!!
Enjoy it Kate - it's really interesting to hear him read from the script.

Oh, and congratulations - I believe you are now agented by Julia Churchill. That's brilliant news! :)

Candy Gourlay said...

thanks for the mention, tracy! cross fingers!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts

The Bookseller

Loading...