Sunday, 19 February 2012

DEBORAH HEWITT: One of the Twelve Voices Chosen for SCBWI-BI's Undiscovered Voices Anthology 2012

* Congratulations, Deborah, on achieving a coveted place in Undiscovered Voices 2012! and welcome to tall tales & short stories. 
The floor is yours, please tell us all about yourself, your writing journey and anything else you'd like to add.

I’m a recently qualified primary school teacher who lives somewhere north of London and south of Glasgow. When not meddling in writing or photography (which I love) I’m busy answering bizarre questions from my two small children and trying to wrestle vegetables into their mouths.

I first took a real interest in writing when I was studying for an English degree and realised that if I did a piece of creative writing for my dissertation I wouldn’t have to write an essay or scour textbooks looking for quotes.

After university, I spent about five years writing and re-writing one novel idea. It turns out I wasn’t ready to write that novel at that time, but I learned a ton from trying. After spending years writing one manuscript, I finished my Felix Munroe: Hell’s Angel MS in about a month and was flabbergasted when it was chosen for Undiscovered Voices. I’ve still not let go of that other idea though and I think I’m finally ready to do it justice!

*  Could you tell our readers all about your winning entry and why they are going to love it!

This is my short blurb for Felix Munroe: Hell’s Angel:

When Felix Munroe bites the dust and finds himself damned to Hell for all eternity, he does what any teenager would do – he kidnaps the antichrist, Lucy Jones, and holds her to ransom. But unluckily for him, he’s inadvertently saved the 12 year old brat from an assassination attempt. Now Felix and Lucy must thwart a plot to take over Hell and save Felix’s skin. Clich√© or not, all Hell is about to break loose…

The manuscript is a lower-YA fantasy with elements of the grotesque and macabre (but in a light-hearted way, honestly!). It’s for people who are not afraid to snigger at exploding seagulls and train-rides through a dragon’s intestines. Some of the scenes in the opening are based on real-life incidents but I remain hopeful that the perpetrators of these sins will escape being sent to Hell alongside Felix (note to my brother and Irish cousins: yes, I’m talking about you).



...WIN a copy of Undiscovered Voices, by Working Partners & SCWBI-BI.
Your chance to read all the selected excerpts, see the fabulous illustrations
and read what the judges had to say!


It’s easy to enter -- Here's what to do!

•  Leave a comment on the blog; say hi, leave your name and tell us if you'd like to be entered for the draw. 

If you want to leave your email address that's great, if not, we'll be announcing the winners after midday on the 1st March, UK time. So make sure to check in here and on twitter.

All entries go into a hat and TWO winners will be chosen at random.

Sorry, but this competition is open to UK entrants only.

Competition Deadline: 
Midnight 29th February 2012, UK time.



Sue Hyams said...

Sounds great, Deborah. Can't wait to read it. Congratulations - a worthy win!

Jackie Marchant said...

I loved this one, I thought it was really funny!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts

The Bookseller