Monday, 6 February 2012

HEATHER KILGOUR: One of the Six Illustrators Chosen for SCBWI-BI's Undiscovered Voices Anthology 2012





* Congratulations, Heather, on achieving a coveted place in Undiscovered Voices 2012! and welcome to tall tales & short stories. 
The floor is yours, please tell us all about yourself, your journey as an artist/illustrator and anything else you'd like to add.



I grew up in New Zealand.
My parents often took us to the art gallery and standing in front of a painting at five years old I decided I would grow up to be an artist.


I gained a DFA and MFA majoring in sculpture and performance installation.

I then became a film sculptor on Lord of the Rings. There I met some amazing people, Alan and Virginia Lee, and Freya Blackwood, among others who inspired me to try children’s book illustration.

Heather and the tiger who came to tea


In 2007 we moved to London, where I joined the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators which continues to inspire me.




* Could you tell our readers all about the story behind your chosen entry, and most importantly why they are going to love your work!

Talking with Birds

Talking With Birds is a reworking of a picture I did in a dummy book for one of my stories called Princess Pink.

Princess Pink
Princess Pink










My work has always had a strong narrative quality. I try to make my pictures add as much to the story as the text does.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

COMPETITION TIME!

...WIN a copy of Undiscovered Voices, by Working Partners & SCWBI-BI.
Your chance to read all the selected excerpts, see the fabulous illustrations
and read what the judges had to say!


WE HAVE TWO COPIES TO GIVE AWAY!

It’s easy to enter -- Here's what to do!

•  Leave a comment on the blog; say hi, leave your name and tell us if you'd like to be entered for the draw. 

If you want to leave your email address that's great, if not, we'll be announcing the winners after midday on the 1st March, UK time. So make sure to check in here and on twitter.

All entries go into a hat and TWO winners will be chosen at random.

Sorry, but this competition is open to UK entrants only.

Competition Deadline: 
Midnight 29th February 2012, UK time.






~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

10 comments:

Juliet Clare Bell said...

Thanks for this posting. Heather, it's a beautiful illustration and an extremely worthy winner. I hope you all this exposure as a UV Winner gets your work seen by the right people.

And thank you for the series -I'd like to be considered for the books, please. It's j underscore clarebell at yahoo.co.uk Cheers, Clare.

Jackie Marchant said...

Lovely work, Heather and congratulations on your UV win!

Laura Lou said...

Magical work Heather, I wish you every success.

Please enter me into the draw for one of the books. Email is lauralou.stewart(at)googlemail.com.

www.lauralouisestewart.webeden.co.uk

Addy Farmer said...

Congrats, Heather. You chose one of favourite images - Princess Pink.

Please enter me into the draw:

addyatowletthall.com

Susie Bright said...

Congratulations Heather. Proper fairyland illustrations. I used to stare up at my Grandmother's one print of The Woodgatherer by Corot and be transported to that other world.
Please enter me into the draw for one of the books. My name is Susie Bright.
My email is susie@bright39.fsnet.co.uk

Liz Miller said...

Congratulations Heather - such beautiful illustrations! Wishing you continued success.

Please enter me into the draw: elizabeth.miller4@ntlworld.com

Anne M Leone said...

Wow. I'm so glad UV included illustrations this year. They're stunning, and such a pleasure to see a few more snippets of your work, Heather. And can I just say how cool it is that you worked on the LOTR set?! ;)

Bekki Hill said...

Congratulations on your UV win Heather - gorgeous.

Swapna Haddow said...

Beautiful illustrations! Huge congratulations on UV.

Would love to be entered in the UV prize draw: swapnahaddow@yahoo.co.uk

Lois said...

Beautiful artwork, Heather. I love the perspective and also the movement in the illustration.

I'd like to be entered in the UV draw too, please.

Lois
tjlois@aol.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts

The Bookseller

Loading...