Thursday, 9 February 2012

JULIA GROVES: One of the Six Illustrators Chosen for SCBWI-BI's Undiscovered Voices Anthology 2012

* Congratulations, Julia, on achieving a coveted place in Undiscovered Voices 2012! and welcome to tall tales & short stories.
The floor is yours, please tell us all about yourself, your journey as an artist/illustrator and anything else you'd like to add.

I joined the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators especially to enter the UV2012 Competition on the recommendation of a friend, so I couldn’t believe it when I found out I'd been selected as one of the six lucky illustrator winners!

My background is in Illustration and Printmaking; I studied at Cambridge School of Art, Anglia Ruskin University and Brighton University.

I have worked as a college lecturer in art and design for several years and I have a real passion for all aspects of illustration, especially children’s books.

In my work I have enjoyed experimenting with a variety of mediums including painting and textiles, underpinned by a strong sense of drawing and composition. I have recently been combining traditional printmaking techniques with digital media.

I take inspiration from the natural world, but I also love drawing everyday objects, toys and the domestic paraphernalia that comes with family life.

My children are an endless source of inspiration and often come up with ideas for stories and characters!

My chosen entry ‘Birdsong’ was completely inspired by the Undiscovered Voices competition theme.  I wanted to create an image which captured the idea in an unusual way. I think that song birds are evocative, beautiful and universally appealing. Decorative birdcages were an important element of the design, but I wanted to suggest the idea of the birds being set free.

My illustrations depict characters and places and are always thoughtfully drawn and given a sense of space using distinctive line, strong compositions and unusual colours. I hope you love them!!



...WIN a copy of Undiscovered Voices, by Working Partners & SCWBI-BI.
Your chance to read all the selected excerpts, see the fabulous illustrations
and read what the judges had to say!


It’s easy to enter -- Here's what to do!

•  Leave a comment on the blog; say hi, leave your name and tell us if you'd like to be entered for the draw. 

If you want to leave your email address that's great, if not, we'll be announcing the winners after midday on the 1st March, UK time. So make sure to check in here and on twitter.

All entries go into a hat and TWO winners will be chosen at random.

Sorry, but this competition is open to UK entrants only.

Competition Deadline: 
Midnight 29th February 2012, UK time.



dhofmeyr said...

Well done, Julia! I love the birdsong image. Beautiful.

Sue Hyams said...

Congratulations, Julia! Great illustrations, and I love Birdsong!

Jackie Marchant said...

Congratulations! I love your drawings, it's a skill I sadly don't possess.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts

The Bookseller