Tuesday, 24 April 2012

Book Review: Tales for Great Grandchildren by John Jackson.




Tales for Great Grandchildren

Interactive stories for the iPad or Kindle.

Reviewed by Karen Laing.
‘...Beautifully crafted stories with magical illustrations that come to life...’

Tales for Great Grandchildren, first published in hardback in 2011 limited edition, has evolved, embracing the ‘new’ revolution that is muscling its way, quite nicely, into the world of publishing!

So, when I as first asked to review this app, I was intrigued. Could a book really hold a candle to a traditional book? Could it add another dimension to my reading experience? Well, I thought, I was about to find out...

Tales for Great Grandchildren is a collection of classical stories inspired by the folklore and mythology of ancient India and Nepal. With stories of flying turtles, a magic goat and a very clever rabbit called Vijaya, to name a few, you’re certainly not short of something different.

John Jackson

I read this iPad app with my 6 year old, and I have to say, it was a throughly enjoyable experience! Given the choice, we could either read it together, or, with the touch of a button, have it read to us by the author himself, John Jackson. Impressive.


The End of the World


Now, this is where I truly believe the magic happens; a place (do I dare say it) where a paper book can never compete: the illustrations come to life! It’s like standing in the middle of a Harry Potter film. There are even sound effects! Talk about taking the reading experience to another level. Perfect.

I loved them, my son adored them even more and that’s no mean feat, I can assure you!

...And it doesn’t end there. There is a chapter ‘Tales Behind the Tales’, crammed full of extras (and we all like extras), including two short ‘making of’ films: ‘Inspiration Behind the Tales’ and ‘The Illustrative Journey.’

So, my overall opinion: I truly believe Apps like these prove there is a place for the traditional and the new; it’s nice to have a choice.

The Hole in the Roof
So, would I recommend Tales for Great Grandchildren? Yes, absolutely! A truly unique experience that makes reading even more fun!
Or, in the words of my 6 year old ‘...awesome’!

And ready to download instantly. Bonus!

Cheppu Illustration













So, if you want to find out more or to download the App (available in Kindle/IPad/iBook versions) just visit JJ Books - Tales for Great Grandchildren

Enjoy,
Karen.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts

The Bookseller

Loading...